The ancient great town Vladimir is situated 45 km to the south from Suzdal. It was founded by Prince Vladimir Monomakh in 1108. In 1157 Prince Andrei Bogolyubsky moved the capital of Vladimir-Suzdal Principality to Vladimir. The capital was moved there, because the sacred icon of Our Lady, which once had been brought from Constantinople, was also moved to Vladimir. The icon got the name of "Our Lady of Vladimir". In the year of 1299 the town also became the residence of the Russian Metropolitan. By the middle of the 14th century Vladimir had lost its political importance and Moscow had become the main political centre of the Russian state. The ancient monuments dated by the 12th century remain in town and its suburbs. The great Cathedral of Dormition stands in the town centre. It was built in 1158-1160 by the order of Andrei Bogolyubsky. The interior of Cathedral displays the ornaments and wall-paintings which go back to the 12th-13th centuries and the wall-paintings of the 15th century by Andrei Rublev and Daniil Chyorny. The Church of St. Demetrius stands close to the Cathedral. The Church was built in 1194-1197 by the order of Prince Vsevolod Big Nest (1170-1212), who was baptized as Demetrius. The facades of the Church are ornamented by fine white-stone carving.